Power Systems Director - Grids & Renewable Energy Integration
Power Systems Director - Grids & Renewable Energy Integration
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Set CSIRO’s research agenda in electricity grids and renewable energy integration
- Help transform Australia’s energy industry, driving once-in-a-generation change
- Significant opportunity to contribute to CSIRO strategy, expand and strengthen our position in the Energy ecosystem
Australia’s established electricity systems are now facing complex and unprecedented challenges, resulting from new technologies, market structures, actors, and business models. The future is likely to look vastly different from today and the transformation of these critical systems continues to gain momentum. CSIRO’s whole-of-system approach to applied research, development and demonstration will be critical to ensure that Australia’s electricity transformation delivers both: (i) the greatest customer and societal value; and (ii) maximum electricity system resilience for the long-term future.
The Domain Leader will work across multiple science disciplines and diverse stakeholders, up to and including ministerial and chief executive levels. With significant electricity or renewable energy industry experience, they will have a clear vision on the future of the industry, and the steps needed to get there. Demonstrating a highly credible, engaging and evidence-based approach that secures respect and influence, the successful candidate will continue to position CSIRO as the research and transformation partner of choice to Australia’s electricity industry, regulators and related government and funding agencies.
This role requires a visionary thought-leader in the industry, a person capable of bringing disparate groups together towards a common vision, understanding the challenges to realising that vision, and then implementing the research and development needed to solve these in a commercial environment.
The Power Systems team have several new opportunities available, including Electrical Power Systems Research Engineers at various levels (Engineer, Senior and Principal Engineer) and this Power Systems Director role. Please visit the CSIRO website for more information on the vacancies or to learn more about Australia's Global Power System Transformation (G-PST) Research Roadmap
Your duties will include:
- Provide influence and leadership to Australia’s electricity sector, with a clear vision on the changes needed, the benefits to society, and the challenges that need to be addressed.
- Lead the development and execution of a commercially valuable program of research and development that addresses key needs and opportunities amidst the transformation in Australia’s electricity sector.
- Working with industry, ascertain the key technical, regulatory and customer requirements behind the vision for an affordable, reliable, and low-emissions electricity industry. Distil these into packages of work and key steps for research providers, industry partners and stakeholders.
- Expand and deepen strategic relationships with key external stakeholders including government, universities, electricity utilities, regulators and technology providers.
- Persuasively communicate the transformational challenges facing the sector to a range of stakeholders, from senior decision makers to general consumers.
- Develop a pipeline of major projects delivering significant revenue to the Domain. Identify opportunities for R&D projects with leading energy enterprises and agencies that connect proposed solutions to business needs and value.
- Assist in the commercialisation of CSIRO intellectual property and innovations in national and global markets.
Location: Newcastle, NSW preferred. Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or other sites with an Energy team presence may be considered.
Salary: AU$146k – AU$174k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Qualifications in Business, Engineering or Economics; or significant experience and depth of understanding of applied research, innovation and commercialisation from either a research or industry background.
- Extensive knowledge of, and a network of contacts within, electricity industry organisations such as electricity utilities, regulators, government policy units, or relevant technology providers.
- The performance of a senior strategic thinker – the demonstrated ability to develop a compelling strategic vision and lead its delivery.
- Proven ability to engage senior decision makers, present complex proposals in a cogent and persuasive manner and gain support and funding for mutually beneficial initiatives.
- Demonstrated track record of achieving or exceeding financial targets through business development and internal project management.
- Ability to assemble large multi-disciplinary teams with multiple stakeholders.
- Knowledge, or engagement with major national and international programs including the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA), RACE for 2030, and the Global Power Systems Transformation (GPST) programs is desirable.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and international Candidates. Visa sponsorship may be provided to the successful candidate if required. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
25 April 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 25 Apr 2023
- AU$146k – AU$174k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: